Hello. I’m Ned.
I’m sure if you’ve visited this page then you’d like to know a little more about me. I’ve done my best to provide some of this information below, however if there’s anything else that you’d like to get in touch about then please don’t hesitate to contact me.
What is your job, what do you do with yourself?
I’m an enthusiastic and ambitious online entrepreneur. Primarily, I am a digital marketing consultant and am CEO & Founder of Pole Star Digital a digital marketing consultancy I run alongside developing a number of entrepreneurial ventures. I spend my time developing and overseeing digital strategy for a number of well reputed international clients, developing creative approaches to achieving organic search results, increasing inbound traffic, conducting paid campaigns and ultimately driving revenue. As well as this I am working towards developing some new and exciting entrepreneurial ventures so watch this space…!
So what does that actually mean, what do you spend your time doing?
I spend my time establishing and overseeing the Digital Marketing strategy for a number of clients that come in all shapes and sizes. Working closely with them or their internal teams to develop and implement strategies to grow their online presence. This is a fairly wide and varied role, but I work at helping increase the visibility, engagement, and ultimately the revenue generated by my clients via organic search and other inbound traffic sources, paid channels, social media and email marketing.
Are you a jack of all trades, master of none then?
No. I strongly believe in learning and in a world [and industry] like ours I feel an openness to acquire a broad and varied skills-set is vital. Because of this, you’re as likely to see me talking about SEO as you are PPC, Conversion Optimisation, effective use of social media & content marketing, web analytics, or whatever else it takes to achieve actual business objectives. The key is to remain adaptive to the environment around you.
What experience do you have?
I have several years industry experience working in digital marketing.
Pole Star Digital
Upon exiting my Danish startup and returning to the UK, I have now launched Pole Star Digital a specialist digital marketing consultancy, helping businesses grow online. Through Pole Star Digital, I am continuing to offer my services as a consultant working with a number of fantastic clients at varying sizes. In addition to this, I am working on a number of entrepreneurial ventures which I’m hoping to launch in the near future…
In 2014, I made the bold decision to start my own business and attempt to fulfil my aspirations of becoming a fully-fledged online entrepreneur. I achieved this and having developed AvitaDigital to a success, I exited in 2015. I have now launched another digital marketing consultancy in my native country Pole Star Digital (see above :)).
In 2013, I relocated to Copenhagen, Denmark a joined Miinto. Starting as SEO Manager, I was then quickly promoted to their Head of Digital, overseeing their entire digital strategy in 5 different markets. At Miinto, Scandinavia’s biggest online fashion retailer, working across each of their territory sites listed below:
During my time at Miinto, I helped establish and oversee the Digital Marketing strategy for each individual markets and working with my teams in these local markets to implement these. Some particular highlights included:
- Information Architecture: Revised entire product categorisation structure for upwards of 100,000 products. Researching and re-mapping based on user feedback taken from focus groups and local language research.
- Link Development: Developing and overseeing internal link development process. Generating link development tactics, international reporting processes and analysing activity to communicate to local MDs and senior stakeholders.
- Content Marketing: Constructing internal content development process, ensuring a dedicated focus on SEO influencing factors. Expanding future content development by analysing successful content to iterate future production on a results-based approach.
- Technical SEO: Working collaboratively with the internal technical team to create specification for, and overseeing tech-based product releases to ensure SEO best practice was adhered to.
- Analytics & Reporting: Fashioned internal SEO reporting for individual markets and global group activity. Analysing and interpreting results to integrate into achieving broader business objectives.
In 2010, I relocated to London and joined Quirk, a brilliant online marketing agency that has offices in London, Johannesburg and Cape Town. Here, I spent my time working across a number of great and diverse clients, including some notable mentions:
As SEO Manager my primary goal was working towards increasing the visibility and engagement of my clients online assets (websites, social media channels, blogs etc). My time was spent on delivering everything from budget attribution and SEO campaign strategy, full on-site technical audits, managing accounts and keeping regular day-to-day communication, as well as working integrally with the other engagement and reporting disciplines: social media, PPC, analytics, UX and usability. In addition to this I also provided consultancy on a wide range of projects, was a central part of the new business team contributing to a number of new business pitches, and developed and delivered in-depth training sessions to a number of academic institutions and PR firms.
I then moved to PushON where I worked as an Analyst and Search Marketing Consultant, this involved me getting immersed in the world of SEO, PPC and Social Media while also dealing with large amounts of data collected through various research techniques. I really learned my ‘trade’ (SEO) here, and started out on a journey that ultimately led me to where I am today.
Warner Bros 2008-09
I began my career working as a Marketing Assistant in the European Theatrical Department at Warner Bros in London. Here I was introduced to the world of marketing and allowed me to expand my horizons facilitating all marketing on an international basis across 39 different territories. While there, I was lucky enough to work with exciting products (the films themselves!), on ever-varying campaigns. I worked with some of the industries most creative, up-and-coming and biggest names, including: MSN, AKQA, PHD, Google, Yahoo, Xbox, amongst many many others…
What qualifications have you got?
- I have an BaHons in International Business with a years industrial placement from Manchester Metropolitan University.
- I am a Google AdWords Certified Professional
- I am a Google Analytics Qualified Professional
- I am also a Certified Digital Marketer from Quirk Education (underwritten by the University of Stellenbosch Business School)
Tell me a bit about yourself then…
As I’ve mentioned, I like to keep myself busy, this means that I have a lot of hobbies and am always looking to learn/try new things. My hobbies include:
- Travelling, seeing the world and experiencing different cultures
- Reading – I’m a big fan of learning new things, and spend a lot of time reading; my Feedly and Instapaper accounts speak for themselves…
- Writing – I’m a very active blogger and contribute to a number of top industry blogs
- Making music – I play the guitar and bass
- Keeping fit – I enjoy exercise & go to the gym regularly. I have ran a marathon (Loch Ness, October 2010) and also trained in martial arts (kickboxing – black belt and MMA – 3 years)
Thank you for reading!
All work by Ned Poulter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.